Built in 1895 by Mr. John Spafford, the characteristic warmth of a Victorian Era home is noted by many families and visitors. Extensive use of cut and crystal glass throughout the house, true quarter sawn oak staircase, fireplaces of cherry, oak, and birdseye maple.
The ambiance of an era past has been mated with a functionality for those we serve today.
Axel A. Sundberg began Sundberg Funeral Parlor at 1508 Broadway, here in Rockford in 1918. In 1924 Axel A. Sundberg & Erling E. Larsen opened Sundberg's Funeral Home at 1511 Broadway. An early advertisement states, "Unlike some other undertaking parlors, the office is in the rear where the ringing of the phone and transacting of business does not interrupt services".
Following WWII, upon discharge from the Navy, Axel's son, Collins Y. Sundberg, returned to the business. Mr. Sundberg along with Mrs. Floy Chapin opened the Sundberg-Chapin Funeral Home in a restored circa 1895 Queen Anne home in 1952, which remains our present location. Mr. Sundberg became sole owner, along with his wife Norma (Johnson), in 1960. Collins Y. Sundberg served as Winnebago County Coroner from 1952-1975 and continued operation of the funeral home until his death in 1991.
Phone: (815) 962-7743